When Pope Gregory defined the seven deadly sins that we should avoid, he also included a counter-balancing set of values that we should espouse and adopt. These are:
- Faith is belief in the right things (including the virtues!).
- Hope is taking a positive future view, that good will prevail.
- Charity is concern for, and active helping of, others.
- Fortitude is never giving up.
- Justice is being fair and equitable with others.
- Prudence is care of and moderation with money.
- Temperance is moderation of needed things and abstinence from things which are not needed.